Saturday, August 13, 2011

THE Iowa State Fair

All you Iowan's...you know what I'm talkin' about.  I like to compare you to Nebraskan's.  You have only college sports to talk about and you love wearing their letters across your chest.  You are surrounded by farmers who raise the best this or the best that.  You love state fairs...and by God-- yours is the best!  And it's no joke to you.  It is NOT a laughing matter!  With all kidding aside though, I have now been with an Iowa family for over eleven years.  I sort of get it, but not really. :)  I'm still a city girl who hasn't even yet been to her very own county fair, mind you.  I'm 32- I've pretty much lived in Platte County all my life!  And my first Missouri State Fair I went to was when Ben took me back in his John Deere days!

We do try to be go-with-the-flow kind of people...but let's be honest.  We both really like structure, control, and an agenda.  Thank the good Lord that Ben and I are alike in this way!  Spontaneity used to work for us, until we had kiddos.  Now, we have a fairly good idea of what's going on for the day, for the week, for the year. Yes, year. We're planners...and usually waaaaaaay in advance.  So for Ben to come home from work yesterday at 3:30 and say, "Ya know, Sarah Palin's at the Iowa State Fair...?" was awful strange.  The conversation continued with lots of what I call "eye talk", a few other comments such as "Do you wanna go....well- I don't know- do you?!", and then a phone call.  The friends who we went to Cabo for live in West Des Moines.  She said that we could stay the night and that was that. Literally- we were in the car, packed up and headed out less than thirty minutes later!  Call us crazy.

And let me just say, I've been to the Iowa State Fair at least once, if not twice.  It's a bit hazy. :)  This was way back though...not even sure we were married. We saw The Nada's, had some BBQ..and maybe a beverage or two.  We were with Ben's fraternity brothers, so you can imagine how the evening went down.  This trip to the state fair was very different.  Totally family oriented and all about what they wanted to do and see.

We arrived around 7:30 last night and met up with Karry and Eric for a minute before they headed into the Jason Aldean concert. Then we all rode the Giant Slide, saw Sarah (Palin), took a look at the train exhibit, saw the big bull, some horses, cattle and piggies.  Then topped it all off with a family funnel cake.
The next morning, Grandma and Grandpa Dohrmann came down to Des Moines to meet us.  We saw baby chicks and baby pigs (among other baby/mommy animals) in the new birthing center.  We walked through the Pioneer kid section, rode some rides, went down the slide again, and had a turkey leg!  After it was all said and done, I was very impressed with the fair.  It was like Disney World in a way.  Just as crazy, almost as expensive, and lots of fun!   Ben says this will be our new annual trip. I compromised with a few "Only ifs...".  We had SUCH a fun time!! 
Ben and I had a party to go to the evening...we're busy beavers.  Happy 30th Birthday, Beth!!  Maggie and Johnny are on the left, Beth and Kevin are in the middle.
Whew- we need to slow down.  We might miss something if we don't! :)

1 comment:

Jill said...

Shucks! I wish we knew you were coming, Cael could have been your tour guide.